Littleborough’s History

Littleborough Co-operative Society  in middle & late 20th Century

Economic times were difficult after the 1st World War, High inflation, reduced sales, lowest dividend of 6d in the £


Committee Meeting May 14th 1945 agreed

Two employees lost their life during the 2nd World War

Slaughterhouse on Industry St closed after war








 



Premises Occupied in the 1950’s


Central Premises

44 Draper

42 Grocers and Provisions

38 Confectionery & Tobacconist

35 Drapers

34 Outfitters – Gents

32 Footwear


Grocers and Provisions

     31 Church St

   105 Featherstall Road

     103 Hare Hill Rd - Caldermoor

          Lighthouse

59 Halifax Road

     84 New Road - Dearnley

76 / 8 Summit

   193 Todmorden Road – Centre Vale


Butchers

33 Church St

40 Hare Hill Road


Co-op Competition in centre of Littleborough - CWS Ltd

28 Church St (Fishmonger, Game and Greengrocers)

30 Church St (Fruiterers and Greengrocers)

32 Church St (Wallpapers and Paints)

16 Church St (Footware)

1950 Grand Centenary Celebrations

Programme of events, all held in the Co-operative Hall included Grand Concert; Pageant of Fashion; Centenary Ball (Admission 1/- Light Refreshments Provided); Children's Night Film Entertainment (with Uncle Charlie and Uncle Tony); Grand Whist Drive; Aged Folks Night; Grand Closing Concert; Employee’s Party and Competitions.



1960 - Conversion of Church St Grocery and Butchering Dept's

Sale of 76 and 76a Summit

Meetings with Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Soc Ltd.

1961  - Closure of Church St Butchering Shop for Modernisation

Purchased a Ford Diesel then a 15 cwt Austin van


1962 – Central premises externally decorated, diesel van bought

1963 – Fish Dept closed

1964 - Bought  30 CWT Austin van

& 4 ton Diesel for the coal dept.

1965 - Caldermoor Branch Closed around this date



Littleborough Co-operative  - 1967 - Transfer of Assets  - 447th Report and Balance Sheet details the demise

Trading results show a loss and no dividend was made;

Agreed to close the Lighthouse Branch and the Café upstairs in the Main Building on July 29th 1967;

Agreed to approach the Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society Ltd with a proposal for their consideration for a Transfer of Engagements to that Society;

28th Dec 1967 – Meeting held in Co-operative Hall  approved the transfer of assets to the Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society Ltd;


Managed Decline

1972 Old Central Premises had been Closed by this date

1987 Old Central Premises taken down  in 1987

1994 Lo Cost sells out to Co-op Group (ex CWS) resulting in 2 Co-op shops in Littleborough:-

Hare Hill Road – United Co-op (pictured left)

Railway Street - Co-operative Group  (pictured right)

2008 Co-op buys Somerfield – forced sale of Hare Hill store to Sainsbury’s

Of The Littleborough Co-operative Society of Industry only most of the closed branch premises remain, plus sad traces of the fine Central Premises. The Central Hall and Stables remain but also in different uses and by now the mills have all gone replaced by housing - see Co-operative Mills


And yet, the Co-op in Littleborough continues with its store on Railway Street. How the competition between The Co-op, Sainsbury’s and Lidl pans out is to be seen.


Co-operative Mills