top of page
Panorama from excavation Site.jpg

Littleborough from Cleggswood Hill

THE LAW FAMILY

William Law (Senior) was a Fulling Miller who married Sarah around 1822 and they had 6 children, including Alfred (born 1825), John (b 1830), Ellin (b 1830), Mary (b 1833), and William (born  1835).

In 1847 Alfred Law went into partnership with a local businessman, James Fletcher to manufacture Flannel under the name of "Law and Fletcher". They quickly built Lydgate Mill (pictured right) on Blackstone Edge Old Road (an early Turnpike) being mention in an 1852 Trade Directory. The company lasted for 18 years before each partner went their separate ways.

 

In the 1850's, Alfred set up a new partnership with his brother William, called ‘A & W Law’ to take over and operate Lydgate Mill. It must have become obvious that Lydgate mill didn’t  have sufficient capacity for an expanding business so they decided to build a new additional mill at Durn which was closer to the Rochdale Canal, railway and potential employees. Its location was carefully chosen to ensure adequate supplies of water even though the mill was to be driven by a steam engine. Later, William Heap and his sons built their West View Mill on an adjacent site (pictured right).

Laws-and-heaps-Mills.jpg
Lydgate-Mill---aerial.jpg

Bids for the construction of a new mill, engine house, and boiler facility were advertised in the Rochdale Observer, featuring designs by architects Russell & Whittaker. Work began in 1864, utilizing regional bricks from Rake Brickworks and iron columns from the nearby Schofield Foundry. By 1867, a new warehouse was completed on-site. The brothers initially resided at Bent House, but in 1873, William invested £5,000 to build a grand residence for them both. Situated across the road, the home was named "Honresfeld," a title derived from Hundersfield, the historical name for the local district.

After the deaths of William & Alfred their nephew, Alfred Joseph Law inherited Honresfeld and A & W Law in 1913. A bachelor like his uncles, he had numerous business interests, was a member of the Conservative party, and became the MP for Rochdale in 1918 (for 4 years) and 1929 was elected as the MP for the High Peak constituency. Knighted in 1927. The business was extremely profitable being able to company to operate 2 steamships for the export of their Cloth Alfred and William became extremely wealthy. In the inter-war years the Company operated at a loss which A J Law covered from his inheritance. He died in 1939 and though rich, he wasn't as wealthy as his uncles. He left the business and Honresfeld to his nephew and niece. For more information see Industrial History Booklet No 2

Alexander Harvey and Thomas Fothergill 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The first 50 years or so

Around 1846 to 1848  three Cotton Agents in Manchester formed a partnership trading under the name of Fothergill and Harvey. The known partners were Alexander Cummings Harvey and Thomas Fothergill. The Cotton Cloth and Yarn trading business became the financial bedrock which enabled Fothergill & Harvey’s to enhance their supply of cloth through actually manufacturing it themselves but probably understanding their limited knowledge they initially entered into a partnership with their friend Thomas Livesey who had recently set up a mill in Well ’th Lane in Rochdale, Unfortunately, not that long afterwards the mill, its textiles and its new machinery together with the Livesey’s house was destroyed by fire. Despie this early setback they looked to Summit to continue there aims.

FOTHERGILL AND HARVEY's EARLY MILLS

The area of Littleborough known as Summit, Rock Nook, Sladen Wood. Green Vale etc first saw Textile Mill development when Kershaw’s Mill was built in the late 18th Century nearby up in the Sladen Valley. Close by John Chadwick and Sons’ built Pike House Fulling Mill next the canal in 1845 with Green Vale Mill built by Abraham Chadwick around 1846/7. Late 1852 to Summer 1853 3 Bacup Men built the 'Backing Hole Shed' in a small quarry on the eastern side of Rochdale Canal a little south of the lane up to Sladen. In 1854 it contained 68 power looms. However, by thenit was better known known as Rock Nook.

 

SLADEN WOOD MILL or KINGS SHED (pictured bottom left)

Sladen Wood Mill or ‘Kings Shed’ was built in the late 1840s by John Holt, a mill manager from Todmorden. Through unfortunate family circumstances, in 1858 the stone mill measuring about 60 yds by 47 yds (or 2820 Sq. yds) was put up for sale, an advert noted that "The shed was divided into 2 compartments, one for spinning and one for weaving and each contained all modern appliances". Close by was Sladen Wood House. (later Thomas Fothergill's home and his daughter Jessie, a noted author). The executors of John Holt leased Sladen Wood to James King around 1858. It is known that the mill was by then divided into 3 parts with James King taking one part with the other two parts sublet. The ‘first’ double action 50 hp compound steam engine was called ‘John' and 'Mary'. Also in 1858 or 1859 Fothergill and Harvey took an interest in the laden Wood Mill in 1858 or 1859 with later Thomas running their mill interests. It is believed that Alexander Harvey’s first visit to Sladen Wood mill was in 1864/5, two years prior to Thomas Fothergill's premature death in 1866. Around this time Sladen Wood mill had 75 looms and 40 work people and mainly produced coarse cotton cloth for the China trade. A few years earlier, the Cotton Famine  of 1861/2 meant that the small mills in Summit were particularly badly hit such that by 1863, Sladen Wood Mill was totally owned by Fothergill and Harvey so around £4,000 was expended on 100 new looms to replace those taken over. Thomas's death meant that Alexander Harvey may have asked James King to continue managing Summit. The 'Backing Hole Shed; also became available and was acquired in  1871/2. Backing Hole was slightly larger than Sladen Wood with initially 106 looms. In 1877, adjoining land was purchased  and the mill extended such that in 1879 it contained 200 looms. 

GORDON and ERNST HARVEY

Gordon Harvey, eldest son of Alexander, arrived in Summit in 1879, aged 21 years and moved into Sladen Wood House. Although his major task was to bring the Summit mills from where they were  into profitability, he also spent two days of each week in Manchester learning the ins and outs of buying and selling cloth and yarns, before he become a member of the Manchester Royal Exchange. At Summit, Gordon’s day started at 6.00am at which time he could often be seen about the mill discussing with some of the weavers about how to improve the quality of the cloth and improve productivity which in turn would lead to profitable operations. To grow the output and quality from their own mills meant more and better looms, better production methods and control over the quality of the yarn. Gordon was also concerned about the welfare of his employees as the mills had no heating or ventilation and closely packed looms and, for example no drying room or a place to eat. Gordon believed that poor working conditions were not conducive to quality and productivity. In 1886, the Harveys purchased land which enabled the new 5 storey Rock Nook 'Tower' Mill to be built (pictured middle bottom with Backing Hole, the extension and Warehouse). It was extended over the years  the left hand tower carrying a datestone of 1898. Towards the end of the 1880s, Gordon’s younger brother Ernst, joined him in Summit and he too lived in Sladen Wood House. Whilst Gordon was a strict uncompromising man, the workers grew to respect him. Ernst however, was a completely different character, sporting and humorous, he had a both a keen interest in mechanics and a good rapport with the workers virtually knowing each employee by name.

 

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

Prior to 1886. Sladen Wood mill was expanded by around 70 feet which enabled the mill to pulled around (improved). At the end of 1888 a new steam engine “Ernst” as installed at Rock Nook and between 1887 and 1892 plots of nearby land were obtained which enabled the warehouse to be built south of the extended ‘Backing Hole’ shed and when finished carried a datestone under a finial of 1892. Green Vale Mill (pictured bottom right) was leased in the mid 1890s about the time Gordon and Ernst move to Moorfield house on Shore Road. In Manchester the Cloth and Yarn trading business grew with Alexander in the lead helped by his sons, Charles joining in 1879, Harry shortly afterwards with Sidney later still. Growth in the Manchester office's workload meant many changes in address. The Manchester office also acted for many other cotton businesses. In line with Gordon's aim for improved quality the mills moved from plain cloth made from course yarns to Drill from 1866 with Sladen Wood Mill changing some looms to make this better cloth. At the end of the year  the cloth stock included 1,283 pieces of Drill in seven different qualities. The production of Drills proved to be one of the most momentous incidents in the history of the company and it continued uninterrupted for more than 50 years. Fothergill and Harvey’s also had success with a three shaft Jean which closely resemble Drill in structure but made with a finer yarn. It was  produced in large quantities for the Chinese Market. Another extremely profitable business was Khaki cloth. Gordon Harvey, who an MP at this, was concerned about British Casualties during the First Boar War, largely due to bright red uniforms. Casualties were much reduced when the British army adopted Khaki coloured uniforms for the Second Boar War. Khaki Cloth was produced mainly by Fothergill and Harvey and dyed by Samuel Bowden's at their Grove Mill. The cloth was taken up by military world-wide and as the Company had exclusive rights to its production, profits grew even further which the Company used to improve the mills in Summit and to fund a Social club for its employees and develop a Pension Fund. Other benefits introduced by Gordon and Ernst included wider spaced looms at the new Rock Nook Mill (1888). These followed earlier improvement introduced by Gordon when he came to Summit with the starting age for children raised from nine years old  to twelve. Additionally, in 1890 a mug of hot milk was served to young operatives when they entered the mills and a year or so later an afternoon tea break was introduced with tea and bread and butter served at a cost of half a penny per worker. By this time there was a dedicated place in each mill to eat and rest and the lack of heating and ventilation was addressed, not necessarily appreciated by the workers! These changes followed even earlier provision of dry socks for every female worker at the start of the working day. A later development was the building of Calderbrook Terrace constructed.

POLTICS

both Gordon and Ernst became involved in local politics with especial interest in education and especially technical education. Gordon also became an MP after the arrival of his brother Ernst who basically oversaw the running of the mills. 

Sladen Wood Mill & Timbercliffe (Aerofilm) 2.jpg
Tower mill and warehouse.jpg
GV Mill.jpg

William Heap and Family

William, the 2nd son of William and Betty Heap, was born in the township of Heap in 1797. 33 year later William Elizabeth Fielding and they had 8 children including Hannah, Thomas Edward, William Edward , Joshua, Elizabeth, John J, Sarah Alice and Samuel Fielden. in 1942 William left Rochdale and Ealees Fulling Mill, one of the older mills in Littleborough, where he finished some 450 to 480 pieces per week. During this period William lived in Ealees with his growing family. By 1861 William was a Woollen and Cotton Manufacturer and Flannel Finisher employing 80 men, women and Children. John Joseph was a Fuller but Thomas Cotton Manufacturer employing 14 men and 7 women. As the business and family grew more space was required and in the 1860s a new mill was developed in Durn adjacent to Law's Mill (see picture above). Henceforth, the new mill remained the basis of the family firm. Williams son, William Henry Heap preferred to be involved in Flannel Manufacturing and that lasted for some 40 years. However, the finishing of cloth remained important throughout and when Gerald took over, Flannel Manufacturing ceased and the business concentrated on Bleaching, Dyeing and Finishing until it all ended in 1939 when Gerald sold on West View Mills. After the family sold its interest in 1939, the mill turned to Flannelette manufacture but unfortunately West View Mills suffered a serious fire in 1940. West View Mills was demolished between 1955 and 1960.

Joshua became MD of Kelsall and Kemp, important Rochdale Company and another was highly involved in Ring Spinning Mills in Milnrow, The wider family had mills in Ogden, Newhey and Milnrow as well as Norden and Caldershaw. More information on the family is available in the Booklet illustrated right available from Kelsall's bookshop in Littleborough Square or from the author - email elboroistry@gmail.com

Heap Book.jpg

Shore Mill

In 1845 Messrs Leach & Clegg and Consterdine & Kershaw took over a small mill in Shore but shortly afterward Consterdine & Kershaw left to set up Brookfield Mill next to the canal in Littleborough. Later, Leach left the business. Subsequently, the Clegg’s expanded the Shore Mill complex  by from the original Landlake Mill (pictured right) to include a second mill on the western end of the site actually called Shore Mill (below right). The company continued to modernise and expand throughout the 19th Century and early 20th. Like all UK Cotton Mills, the factory suffered from the ever increasing restrictions imposed by India on Cotton Imports from the UK, an issue strongly opposed by Gordon Harvey MP who at the time he rightly  forecast that it would lead to the demise of the important Cotton Business of  exporting to the large Indian Market.

During World War One the mills lost 57 workers in the killing fields of Belgium, France and Turkey including 2 officers who were members of the Clegg Family. A Memorial to all of the fallen was erected in 1922 and remains to the day.

 

After the second world war Clegg’s undertook an extensive modernisation programme including purchasing many more automatic machines, in part to overcome a staffing shortage. Clegg’s were famous locally for producing Shore Sheets and they developed a separate company to market the products including specific vans.. It is understood they also owned Lamp Laundries who had offices on Cote Lane.

 

In 1948 Clegg’s merged with A S Orr and Company Ltd of Bamber Bridge to create a new Public Company - Clegg and Orr Ltd. The mills in Shore continued in operation until the Clegg and Orr’s mills  were bought by Vyella in 1964. The 1960s were a time of rationalisation of the cotton industry and just 3 years later Vyella announce the closure of their mills in Shore, Littleborough’

 

A few years later, the mills in Shore were taken over and used for a number of years by Ashe Chemicals who made pharmaceutical products,. This ceased in the 1980's. The site of the mill is now occupied by housing but the Company’s War Memorial still remains within a remembrance garden

bottom of page