Littleborough Co-operative Society
In 1856 moved to 33 and 35 Church Street - pictured right.
The premises consisted of a Butchers Department and a Grocery Department and 33, 35 Church St still kept as a shop even when the Main premises in Hare Hill Rd were opened.
In 1861 Membership was 440, sales were £9,650 and they were able to purchase 33 and 35 Church St for £1,300.
There was an abattoir behind the shop in what is now Industry Street. Pictured below left when still operating and below right as a apartments
Also in 1861 Rock Nook branch opened. Later in 1869 new premises being built and with the opening reported in the Co-operator “On Saturday November 4th this Society opened a branch store at “Rook Nook” - pictured right.
In 1868 Caldermoor branch opened, a purpose built shop at the top of Hare Hill Street built by William Peacock of Caldermoor at a cost of £1,500. Pictured right
The opening of this store was quite an occasion and was reported at the time in the newspaper of the Co-operative Movement “The Co-operator”. In the article entitled “Great Doings at Littleborough” it was reported that the shop was opened with a tea party and ball when about 600 persons were present and the Littleborough choristers were engaged to provide entertainment.
Specialised in animal feed but included Groceries etc
Littleborough Co-op Openings in 1876
Lighthouse Branch in Calderbrook (near right)
and Featherstall (far right)
|Pubs & Inns|
|Todmorden Rd Turnpike|
|living in 18/19th C|
|Lboro Co-op Early days|
|Hare Hill Rd Store & competition|
|20th C Growth|
|Decline & Change|
|Map of Coal Mines and Brickworks|
|Starring Clay and Coal Mine|
|E Shackleton - Coal trader|
|Blackstone Edge Roman Road|
|Roll of Honour|